Five top reasons to make the move to the city
17 April 2019
Ever wondered what it would be like to immerse yourself in city living?
With its thriving arts, festival and sporting scene, Adelaide is one of Australia’s most cosmopolitan capital cities – and one that’s packed with eateries, cafés and bars, and the largest fresh produce market in the southern hemisphere.
Imagine having that right on your doorstep.
Uniting Communities’ U City development will soon make inner-city life a reality for retirees, offering independent living apartments on the upper floors of its brand new 20-storey, $100 million building on Franklin Street.
This unique, mixed-use building will also be home to specialist disability accommodation and accessible serviced apartments for people living with disability. It will feature a function centre and become Uniting Communities’ social services hub in the city, with other spaces available for offices and community use.
So why make the move to the CBD? Here’s just a glimpse at what everyday life in the city could look like:
- Easy access to world-class shows and festivals – Adelaide’s arts and culture scene thrives year-round. The OzAsia and Cabaret Festivals are just two of the events still to come this year, along with packed programs from groups such as the State Theatre Company, ASO and State Opera. There truly is something for everyone, all within a short walk or tram ride away – and even closer once Her Majesty’s Theatre re-opens just down the street!
- Top eateries within walking distance – Whether you like award-winning fine-dining or cosy brunch spots, Adelaide is alive with restaurants, pubs, bars and cafés. Head south from U City for the best of the Central Market, Gouger Street and Chinatown, with delicacies from around the world. Head north and explore the revitalised laneways between Currie and Hindley Streets. In any direction, you’ll find something to satisfy your taste buds.
- A showcase of sporting talent – For keen footy or cricket fans, the Adelaide Oval is an easy 20-minute walk from U City. As well as hosting a range of international events each year, the Oval is worth a visit for anyone interested in learning more about one of Adelaide’s most iconic sites. You could even do the roof-climb for a spectacular view of your new neighbourhood.
- Retail therapy at its finest – From choosing flowers and fresh food at the Central Markets to window-shopping in the East End, Adelaide’s best retail offerings are within easy reach. Walk to the markets or catch the tram to Rundle Mall – or take a ride in an environmentally friendly bamboo Eco Caddy!
- The best of both worlds – For those times when you might like a slower pace, you can meander through the Botanic Gardens, parklands, Linear Park, Art Gallery or State museum and soak up some of Adelaide’s best attractions. Or hop on a tram to Glenelg to enjoy some leisure time by the beach.
The benefits to retirement living in the city are also within the walls of U City itself. Residents will be able to enjoy the café, bar, restaurant and retail offerings in the building, as well as the community balcony spaces. And, importantly, Uniting Communities’ support services will be there if needed, including on-site physiotherapy, podiatry, fitness facility and a dental clinic.
If you’re ready to experience all the excitement that vibrant city living brings, visit www.ucity.com.au or call 8202 5009 to talk about independent retirement apartments at U City.